- Indian Wells 2R: Rafael Nadal d. Radek Stepanek, 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Indian Wells 2R: Alejandro Falla d. Jerzy Janowicz, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(5)
- Indian Wells 2R: Andy Murray d. Lukas Rosol, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Indian Wells 2R: Kevin Anderson d. Lleyton Hewitt, 7-6(5), 6-4
- Indian Wells 2R: Roger Federer d. Paul-Henri Mathieu, 6-2, 7-6(5)
- Indian Wells 2R: Aleksandra Wozniak d. Sabine Lisicki, 7-5, 1-6, 7-6(5)
- Indian Wells 2R: Maria Sharapova d. Julia Goerges, 6-2, 6-4
- Indian Wells 2R: Camila Giorgi d. Sorana Cirstea, 7-6(3), 6-3
- Indian Wells 2R: Ana Ivanovic d. Elina Svitolina, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(1)
News and Links:
Last year’s finalist Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from Indian Wells due to the same left wrist injury that forced him to retire in Dubai.
Jose Higueras spoke to the LA Times about the dire state of American men’s tennis:
Higueras was pretty much satisfied with nothing. When he spoke, he made it clear that he wasn’t speaking directly of Klahn and Johnson, but more generally.
Then he unloaded.
“We are lacking competitiveness in our players,” he said. “They’ve got good backhands and forehands and serves, but they lack an understanding of how the game needs to be played. We have good coaches, but the culture of our players needs to improve.”
Soon, more bodies were rolling under buses.
“I won’t use the excuse you hear all the time about all the good U.S. athletes playing football or basketball,” Higueras said. “Sure, if we didn’t have football and basketball in this country, there would be more guys playing tennis. But it’s an easy crutch.
“If our players were European, things would be different. Being No. 80 in the world wouldn’t be enough then.”
Victoria Azarenka’s status is questionable for Miami.
Our friends at ASAP Sports always have you covered with interview transcripts, including everything from this week at Indian Wells.
Here’s a video of Roger Federer’s back stretching routine, set to ridiculous music:
Tennis on Twitter:
— Maria Sharapova (@MariaSharapova) March 9, 2014
— Serena Williams (@serenawilliams) March 9, 2014
Thinking back at my last memories playing at IW… I wish that person could be here again…
— Gael Monfils (@Gael_Monfils) March 9, 2014
I asked Li Na why she doesn’t play dubs and she said she finds the court too small and admitted she doesn’t really like dubs. #BNPPO14
— Douglas Robson (@dougrobson) March 8, 2014