Former World No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki is known for her interesting sense of humor, both intentional and unintentional. Without further ado, here are 15 of Wozniacki’s most entertaining moments:
1. Wozniacki invades World No. 1 Novak Djokovic’s press conference at Wimbledon in 2011, posing as a reporter from “the Monaco newspaper on Avenue Princess Grace.” She asks Djokovic the hard question about his losing streak of one match, since he had just lost to Federer in the French Open semifinals after winning 43 straight matches. What makes this Wozniacki moment so great is how long the joke goes on past the point of being funny. I think she eventually gets dragged out of the press conference by the WTA PR rep at the end of the video.
2. At the 2011 US Open, Wozniacki caught wind of Rafael Nadal’s cramping episode from during one of his press conferences. In this clip, she does a masterful impression of Nadal sliding under the table. Of course, she’s known for her own on-court cramping incident.
3. In this clip, we see Wozniacki’s great comedic genius. Wozniacki, also known as “Miss Sunshine,” isn’t able to pull off anger very successfully. Frustrated at herself for missing a return, she half-drops, half-chucks her racquet down onto the grass as if she’s Rob Gronkowski spiking a football. The racquet goes flying toward the spectators. “Sorry,” she says, picking up the racquet sheepishly.
4. It would be remiss to leave out Wozniacki’s Academy Award-worthy acting in her Turkish Airlines commercial. The most notable thing about this ad is how many times it was played at the WTA Championships in Istanbul. Though she did not qualify for the event, Wozniacki was there in spirit.
5. Wozniacki and Sabine Lisicki star in this West Side Story-type confrontation at Wimbledon.
6. During one of Maria Sharapova’s interviews this year, Wozniacki decides to prank the Russian. Wozniacki’s plan apparently is to blow up a balloon and then jump on it, popping it in order to scare Sharapova. Needless to say, the prank fails in its execution. But it doesn’t fail in being hilarious.
7. Kim Clijsters co-stars in this clip with Wozniacki. They both imitate the loud grunters on the WTA Tour.
8. In this clip, Sharapova jokingly disses Wozniacki by saying her boyfriend, pro golfer Rory McIlroy, who was dragged into an exhibition match to play a point against Sharapova, won more points than Wozniacki did. Naturally, Wozniacki has a deep burn prepared for Sharapova in response.
9. Often criticized for hitting “moonballs,” Wozniacki proves her prowess in that department by hitting an amazing moonball winner against Dominika Cibulkova this year in Moscow. This is the most Wozniacki winner ever.
10. In this clip, perhaps not her most sportsmanlike moment, Wozniacki interrogates a chair umpire at the French Open on his educational background after he refuses to overturn a bad line call. (In her defense, the ball looked well out.) The good part starts at 2:00 in.
11. Wozniacki aces Mardy Fish with an incredible serve at the Hopman Cup.
12. In this painfully awkward clip, Wozniacki retaliates against reporters at the 2011 Australian Open who called her press conferences boring by interviewing herself, asking trite questions, most of which were surely on the reporters’ tip of their tongues. A more sarcastic player like Victoria Azarenka could’ve executed this idea more successfully, but the ever-sunny Wozniacki smiles her way through, which turns it into an utterly passive-aggressive train wreck. In a funny way.
13. After fooling reporters at the 2011 Australian Open into thinking she got beaten up by a kangaroo, Wozniacki brings this plastic, inflatable kangaroo, apparently given to her by members of the media, into the press room. And she has boxing gloves. Yeah, I don’t know.
14. This one is a hidden gem from Wozniacki’s youth. In this clip, a 17-year-old Wozniacki gives a stirring rendition of an Ace of Base song around the 30 second mark.
15. In this tweet, Wozniacki exposes the world to the term “Wozzilroy” to the world on September 27, 2011. Never forget.
It is almost hard to watch some of these given the level of awkward that she reaches. Good ol’ Caro…capturing our hearts one moonball at a time.
Ooops, she did it again (Christmas cracker gone damp, would be a proper title to this):
Some journalists are not best pleased:
“Caroline #Wozniacki invaded another press conference & asked questions. That’s it. I’m hurdling the fence to return her serve in Melbourne.”
RT: failed journalist or comedian 😉
She is very persistent, plodding and, well… boring when tackling this thing people call humour. That seems to be her way of doing things (see: her tennis).
She’s always latching on cumbersome but obvious props in her bumbling PR efforts: inflatable kangaroo in Australia, her neighbour who happens to be a top ATP player, her boyfriend who’s this top golfer…
Comments are closed.