So, Victoria Azarenka is into the semifinals of the Australian Open after an impressive 7-5, 6-1 win over Svetlana Kuznetsova. And she’s not alone. The WTA’s No. 1 player has a friend in her box. A very famous friend. A very loud friend. A very loud, very famous friend. Okay, okay, so I think we’ve all come to terms with the fact that he’s more than a friend …
So here’s the thing fellow hardcore tennis fans. I’m a bit perplexed by this relationship. I joke and jest and snark, and I’m not alone. We all snark. A lot. But … I don’t know anything about RedFoo or LMFAO or how much the party is rockin. I am not “in the know.” I know he’s famous and that he loves tennis and that he has a tennis tournament in Vegas. But that’s it. So, I figured I would take one for the team. I’ve spend 15 minutes on his Wikipedia page and on Google and I now consider myself a RedFoo expert. This is not me judging. This is not me snarking. This is me educating. So here’s what I have learned:
1. He is 37 years old. Vika is 23. (Not judging.)
2. His dad is Berry Gordy Jr., who founded the Motown record label, which means he is a super important person and also super rich. Redfoo grew up in Pacific Palisades, Los Angeles, California. Swanky. This means he can likely afford any kind of clothes he wants! (Not. Judging.)
3. His real name is Stefan Kendal Gordy. So how in the world did he get the name RedFoo? I’ll let him tell you.
“It comes from having red hair, and people were always saying things like ‘You’re a fool, Red!’ So I changed it around, and took off the ‘L.’ I didn’t want to be a fool. I wanted something more majestic, like a foo. It’s magical.”
4. He went to high school with will.i.am (who I have heard of) and someone named GoonRock (who I have not heard of). I’m suddenly aware that everyone in my high school had super boring names.
5. LMFAO is a duo he founded in 2006 that sold a lot of records. Sky Blu is his 26-year-old nephew and partner in the group, which is on a hiatus right now, I think. Anyway, I don’t care so much about all of that. What I do care about is the fact that his nephew Sky Blu was in a fight on a plane with Mitt Romney. This entire article is really worth a read, but here’s an excerpt.
If Romney had asked nicely, Blu said he might have put his seat up, but since he was so rude … Well, next thing you know, Blu said Romney reached out and put his hand on his shoulder and asked him again to put his seat up. Blu said he knocked Romney’s hand away, thinking nothing of it. “His wife screams. … They’re getting loud, so then the flight attendant comes over, and I try to get louder than them to plead my case. ‘No, the man assaulted me! I was protecting myself!’ I might have thrown a few cuss words in there.”
6. “LMFAO has said that its original name was the SexiDudes and that the two subsequently changed it at the advice of their grandmother.”
“‘LMFAO’ is a common Internet slang abbreviation for ‘Laughing My F—ing Ass Off’, in this case it is said by Hollywood Reporter to stand for ‘Laughing My Freaking Ass Off’ (as the U.S. Trademark Office would not allow them to trademark a name containing the word ‘f—ing’) or according to the BBC, ‘Loving My Friends And Others.'”
7. RedFoo used to be a day trader. He’s been on CNBC. He did not wear a suit.
8. JJ had her shot first. Oh my goodness.
So, there you have it. What do you guys think of RedFoo? Do you have any other facts to share with the group? Let’s get through this together. Everybody just have a good time.